In the past decade, a growing concern for the humane treatment of animals has driven the push towards makeup that doesn’t harm animals during development. So, you’re probably familiar with cruelty-free beauty products. To be socially conscious, these beauty products are never tested on animals.
Lately, however, the focus is now towards vegan makeup. Vegan makeup takes the cruelty-free movement further in several ways. Not only do the products disallow the use of animals in their research and development phase, but they also don’t contain any animal ingredients, animal by-products, or any products derived from animals.
What is Vegan Makeup?
You may be surprised, and perhaps disgusted, to know what kind of animal by-products or animal-derived products can be found in typical makeup. One common ingredient is lanolin. Lanolin is often advertised as excellent for the skin, making it smooth and silky. Perhaps it might.
But lanolin is also made from the yellow malodorous grease that’s collected from sheep’s sheared wool. You might think twice about using sheepskin grease if you knew what it was!
Many common beauty ingredients come from odd animal byproducts. For example, uric acid—sometimes distilled from cow urine—and snail slime are common ingredients in beauty products. Gelatin, which is boiled cow or pig bones, can be found in high-end skin care formulas. However, although strange animal products aren’t found in vegan makeup, some people still have a hard time accepting the idea of vegan makeup.
Is Vegan Makeup Better for Your Skin?
Vegan makeup gets a bad rap. People sometimes question whether or not vegan products are as safe or effective as non-vegan products. Because vegan makeup products are perceived as more “natural,” people think they’re more expensive and have a shorter shelf life.
Vegan products aren’t necessarily more expensive than non-vegan products. They must also undergo the same safety criteria that other non-vegan products do. And, in actuality, because vegan products don’t include animal ingredients, they’re much more gentle on the skin.
Although vegan products use animal-free nature-derived ingredients, they also contain essential additives to prevent spoilage. This lengthens shelf-life and ensures safety without compromising quality.
For those with sensitive skin or who have skin conditions, vegan products can be less irritating. There’s a tendency for animal-derived beauty products to be harsh on the skin, which makes vegan products a possible alternative.
Top Celebrities Who Wear Vegan Makeup
Celebrities make money off of their good looks, so taking care of their skin is paramount. Vegan makeup has become a trend with celebrities not only for its socially conscious message but for its visible positive effects on the skin. The following are a few top celebrities who swear by vegan makeup.
- 🌿 All Natural, 88% Organic, Vegan, Cruelty&Gluten-free - Created with ingredients of Plant Extracts like Sage and Evening Primrose, the highest quality and the most updated ultra-micronized, luxuriously pigmented waterproof eyeshadow cream formula, serious staying power and blendability. great for oily skin that is corrective, brighteners, conceals, with a lightweight creamy finish, long lasting wearing that also minimizes fine lines with long term use.
- 🌈 Making Life More Colorful and Charming - Our Glitter Eyeshadow Palette contains 16 Highly Pigmented, Matte Shimmer Colors, including Warm, Nude, Natural, Bronze, Neutral, Smoky Cosmetic Eye Shadows, which is fully coverage, sweatproof&waterproof enough to keep your makeup long-lasting even in the rain, make your life more colorful and charming.
- 🕴️♀️Increased Confidence - By using fingers or eye blending brush to blend these high pigmented eye shadows from our nude eyeshadow palette matte to brighten your eyes, make yourself more attractive and confident for an unforgettable moment, like a party, a wedding, or a sweet meeting, etc, giving you infinite new ways to get exposed and create any sensuous look that will inspire lots of jealous stares. Enhance your natural features with velvety-smooth, ultra-pigmented powdered shadows
- 💃Easy on-the-go Application - Packaged in a cute sleek case and portable slim light-weight design with a magnetic lid, the size of our glitter eyeshadow palette is friendly for travel: 6.3 x 4.33 x 0.63 inches; also, the built-in mirror makes it much convenient for girls/ladies to refine their makeup whenever and wherever they like, the Glossy Surface of the Mid-range makes it easy to clean the smudge even after longtime use.
- 📞Solid as Rock - We strongly stand behind each ONLYBETTER Nude Eyeshadow Palette for its quality and design. Each shimmer eye shadow pallet we sell has passed a rigorous testing process before landing at your door. If you have any problem or idea, plz feel free to contact us, we will reply to u asap.
- PERFECT EVERYDAY COLOR gives your lips a subtle and natural tint while leaving lips looking and feeling moisturized
- SHEER-COLORED, HYDRATING LIP TINT provides lip moisture, nourishing natural and gorgeous, sheer lip color into one beautiful balm
- ACHIEVE LUSCIOUS AND HEALTHY LIPS with our essential fatty acid formula that leaves lips looking and feeling soft and hydrated
- MADE WITH INGREDIENTS WE LOVE including essential fatty acids from rich and amazing avocado and coconut oils
- FREE OF HARSH CHEMICALS including parabens, phthalates and other ingredients you don't want on your skin, as well as cruelty free and 100% vegan
Why Vegan Makeup is Good for Skin
Even the beauty conglomerate, Vogue, concedes that vegan makeup is better for your skin. Per Vogue, the skin can absorb almost 60% of what is placed on it, from lotions and shampoo to house cleaning and laundry liquids. We tend to forget how porous the skin is, which leaves us slathering sunscreen and foundations without actually assessing their ingredients.
When items placed onto the skin are absorbed, they end up in the bloodstream. Unlike when you drink or eat something, products absorbed through the skin don’t go through the liver and kidneys — your body’s detoxification process—to get into the bloodstream. Products placed on the skin go into the bloodstream, bypassing the body’s filters.
Vegan makeup’s plant-derived ingredients also contain more vitamins and minerals than other non-vegan beauty items. There are also antioxidants within the components to repair skin. Just like when you consume more fresh fruits and vegetables, your skin looks and feels better when it absorbs plant-based ingredients.
The ingredients in vegan makeup include natural oils that soften the skin, like coconut and argan oil. Vegan products, because of its plant base, contain vitamins A, C, and E. These ingredients are significant because the skin naturally absorbs them, and they are naturally derived.
The former wife of Channing Tatum and Step Up actress Jenna Dewan is a loyal user of humane and vegan beauty products. As a vegetarian, she carries her dietary beliefs over to her makeup regimen. Jenna attributes her clear skin and thick hair to the vegetarian diet and vegan products she adheres to.
If you compare photos from her movie “Clueless” to her current photos, you’d never know almost two decades have passed. Alicia Silverstone’s strict vegan diet and use of vegan makeup products have made her ageless. Alicia converted to a vegan diet in her early twenties after health issues. Since becoming vegan, she no longer suffers the same health issues. She’s also a huge advocate of cruelty-free and vegan beauty products!
You might be surprised that beneath singer Kesha’s rough and tumble exterior lies a strict vegan, but it’s true! For the past five years, Kesha has been an advocate of cruelty-free beauty products and the overall human treatment of animals.
In 2019, she collaborated with HipDot to debut a cruelty-free and vegan makeup line. Full of bright neon colors — what else would you expect from Kesha?— the makeup line reflects Kesha’s bold approach to life…and her gentle approach to animals.
You might need her genes to get Natalie Portman’s good looks, but her great skin may be within your reach. This Star Wars actress believes her angelic skin is the result of a vegan life and vegan beauty products. She’s stated time and time again that her skin is due to her vegan choices, and that what you place onto your body is as important as what you put in it.
The star of Girl with a Dragon Tattoo has been vegan for years. She is such a staunch vegan that she was dismayed about the lack of vegan fashion and beauty options in Hollywood. To introduce vegan-friendly fashion, she launched Hiraeth clothing in 2018. Rooney is also a firm advocate of vegan makeup and beauty products. If you’ve ever seen photos of her flawless skin, then you know it shows!
Top Vegan Makeup Brands
Kat Von D Beauty
Celebrity makeup and tattoo artist, Kat Von D reformulated her entire makeup line to reflect her vegan background. Prior to the move towards vegan ingredients, the Kat Von D Beauty line was already cruelty-free.
Loved by makeup aficionados the world over, Kat Von D’s line is known for its heavily pigmented colors, waterproof liners, and attention to detail. If you enjoy playing with colors and are looking for a vegan makeup option, the Kat Von D line might be what you’re looking for.
If you’re looking for the newest “It Girl” beauty line that’s gluten-free, cruelty-free, vegan Róen cosmetics is for you. Made by Hollywood makeup artist — and friend of supermodels Bella Hadid and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley — Nikki Roest, Róen is a luxury makeup line with a natural look.
There are no wild and crazy heavily pigmented colors here. The goal of the makeup line is flawless luminescent skin, distinct brows, and just a touch of magic sparkle. The key here is classy beauty in an uncomplicated, effortless way. We could all use some of that!
Milk Makeup’s tagline is “Good ingredients. Epic payoff.” They’re known for their clean packaging and catchy marketing campaign. If you have ever perused a Sephora or looked online for beauty products, you’ve probably come across Milk Makeup products. But is Mil Makeup as good as their ads say they are? The reviews say, “YES.”
Their makeup formulations are paraben-free, cruelty-free, and 100% vegan. Which is probably why they have such a loyal cult following. Milk products are also high quality — think smooth liquid liners with no skipping and lipstick with no feathering! Because their formulations are so free of additives, many users say their face feels even better after they’ve worn Milk Makeup!
Lady Gaga, the actress and singer, launched her hugely awaited makeup brand Haus Laboratories in 2019. Because of Lady Gaga’s strong feelings toward the humane treatment of animals, Haus Labs products are 100% vegan and are cruelty-free. Its makeup aesthetic reflects Lady Gaga’s tendency towards the dramatic, without sacrificing any quality
ELF cosmetics is a brand that you’ve probably seen selling for reasonable prices on a rack in the drugstore. However, did you know that they are both cruelty-free and vegan? All of ELF cosmetics adhere to vegan standards, which shows that vegan beauty products don’t have to have a luxury price tag. ELF is also known for its variety of colors and products. ELF is such a well-known drugstore staple that every makeup wearer probably has at least one ELF product right now.
You don’t necessarily have to change your diet to a vegan diet to have good skin. For some people, a vegan diet might not work with their lifestyle, beliefs, or even taste buds! But if you’d like your skin to benefit from vegan beauty products, consider going vegan with your makeup. Your skin will thank you for it!